Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fun Picture


I Know.....it's a little late, but I really wanted to share my homemade costume with everyone. If you can't tell we are Jack and Sally from "The Nightmare before Christmas." I made Jack's head out of paper mache-which is flour, water, and newspaper draped over a balloon and then left to dry. Once dried, I stuck in a pin and popped the balloon, then I cut off the bottom for the head to fit through. After that I spray painted it white and cut out fabric for the eyes and mouth which I glued on using a hot glue gun. Two nose holes were cut out so he could see. The Tie is made out of black construction paper with a cardboard backing. I drew on the white lines with "whiteout" and then hot glued a binder clip to the back so I could just clip it on his white T-shirt. The pinstripe jacket came from a thrift store for $4.00(although you can't see the stripes in the picture). My dress is made from four fabric colors...pink, black, yellow, and teal. I cut the patches out and sewed them with black yarn onto an oversized dress that I bought for $5.00. I drew on the designs with a marker and black paint. The wig was made by my grandmother by taking long strands of deep red yarn and sewing it with her sewing machine onto a red toboggan. My mom drew on fake eyelashes with an eye pencil to give my eyes a "doll look." Although it was alot of work-I really had fun making it and I only spent about $25.00 for both costumes compared to the $40.00 for each I would have paid had we bought them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have a lot of talent.